Formby United Reformed Church came into being on Sunday 22nd September 1881. Known as the Formby Congregational Church, it held its first service at the Grapes Hotel, in Formby.
From the obvious public support and interest, a permanent Church building was urgently required. A plot of land, on Liverpool Road, was leased from Mr Weld Blundell. A memorial stone was laid on 6th October 1882. The building was opened shortly after, with furniture and fittings donated and gifted from Members and friends.
In 1888 a 'corrugated iron' church in Wood Green, London was acquired after demolition, transported North and re-erected in Formby on the plot of the current building.
In 1934 it was decided to build a new Church on the current plot.
The Opening and Dedication of the new Congregational Church Building was held on 2nd July, 1938.
In 1972, the name of the Church was changed to the Formby United Reformed Church on amalgamation of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches across the country.
In 2013, the church became a member of the Southport
and Formby Team Ministry together with 5 other churches.